Kill.Switch

Kill.switch was one of those projects that changed that way I think about games.

Underground sub base covered in a network of paths.  Watch your 6!
Level Designer

Simply put, the Offensive Cover System (OCS), which allowed players to "take cover" and "blind fire," proved to me that third person movement could be taken to an all new level. Players could finally fluidly interact with their environment. Other studios have obviously thought this as well and took a page directly from kill.switch. For example, Gears of War is noted to have been inspired by kill.switch and in fact one of the leads, Chris Esaki, went on to work directly with Cliff Bleszinski to impart the lessons learned.  Bleszinski mentions Esaki's involvement in this interview.

Kill.switch is often fondly remembered as is seen here in this fan retrospective video.


 
I jumped onto team kill.switch towards the end of pre-production. Within the first two days on the job I had already completely redesigned a level and was on my way to making what was one of the worst levels into one of the best. 

I was responsible for all the pre and post in-level camera work.
As the project went on, I began to play with the effects system for the game and not long after found myself officially redoing the entire effects system (fires, foot dust, explosions, rain, wind, etc.). I ended up discovering many horrible misuses of the particle system (that went undiscovered for months) and was able to save many precious frames per second. In the end our particles went from a state where they hurt the game to a state where they helped! If you don't believe me, check out the exploding submarine. It rocked!

Here are some more shots of my work...

Fighting across the lower part of the misty cave where the sub is located

Sneaking into the enemy base through the supply elevator and into the storage area.


Low lights in the caves hide enemies.  Watch your step and take your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment